Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Whale Washes Up Off Atlantic Beach NY

I was working on this fellow this morning.

It is one of the creatures that inhabits the spider pit diorama I'm creating.

I had just got the eyes installed when a friend called to tell me a whale had washed ashore in the next town.

I grabbed my camera and decided to take a walk along the shoreline. Atlantic Beach is a private beach but I figured they wouldn't mind.

When I got about a 1/4 block away I could smell the carcass.

The biologist at the scene said it is a Finback whale. It is estimated it is between 35 - 40 feet long. I guess they have to haul it out to sea and let nature take its course.

2 comments:

  1. Cela doit être impressionnant un tel spectacle... j'ose espérer que sa mort fut naturelle...
    En ce qui concerne votre sculpture en cours, son évolution à l'air de bien se passer... montrez-nous vite la suite!
    gros bisous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always sad and worrisome when whales or the like wash up dead. We have many such events down here.

    On a different note, I'm enjoying your "Pit" work in progress!

    ReplyDelete