Saturday, August 14, 2010

Seeing Light At The End Of The Tunnel

I'm pleased to say I'm approaching the finish line on my Skull Island cavern project.

One of the remaining tasks to complete was creating some loose rocks for the interior.

Whenever I'm working with Apoxie clay, mache or wood putty I will always make up rocks with any surplus material.

The collection of these rocks in the above photo on the left are textured to look like marine rocks. The batch to the right are more like ordinary rocks. Sometimes I'll add a stick into the rock as a handle for when it comes time to paint them. For my skull island rocks I cobbled together a few of these leftovers, added some carved styrofoam and finished molding them with Apoxie Sculpt clay.

By modeling these rocks by hand using the same technique to texture the clay that I had on the cavern I achieved a good match.

Here are the finished rocks painted and sprayed with Dullcote.

I thought I'd celebrate nearing completion on this project by having a nice seafood dinner!

After picking my wife up at work we drove to the nautical mile in Freeport.

The Nautical Mile Fish Markets

My favorite fish market on the mile is Capt. Ben's. While there I bought some salmon fillets, shrimp and a dozen Little Neck clams.

For our dinner I made salmon cakes, spaghetti with white clam sauce and garlic shrimp. My wife made a green salad and a toasted garlic bread with melted mozzarella cheese. That bread was soooo good!

6 comments:

  1. Brian those rocks are really well done, they do look real. I am now also drooling over that plate of food.

    Yum

    Debie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making rocks? I never would have guessed. Its always so interesting to go down your path. Its always interesting and a complete surprise. Can't wait to see the finished product.

    Your seafood looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian, these rocks look very real...great job!

    Thanks to seeing your plate of seafood, I am now starving!

    LuLu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Rocks Brian,truly love it!Grin, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rocks look amazing!

    The dinner looks pretty amazing, too! Hope it was as good as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your rocks are sooo cool...and dinner looks Delicious!!

    ReplyDelete