Friday, May 2, 2014

Finishing Up the Miniature Skull Island Trees

I thought I'd post some photographs of my finishing work on the miniature Skull Island tree project. The palm trees are about 26" high while the other trees are roughly 20" tall.

 I sacrificed the log from my spider pit scene to create the armature for this tree trunk :    http://blacknick-sculpture.blogspot.com/2011/10/kong-spider-pit-finished.html 



                       Here I'm wrapping the wire with cotton twine to build up the limbs.




                              Adding cotton & liquid latex to the tree limb.



                                   The first coat of acrylic on the large tree.


                                      The finished tree decked out with foliage.




                                               The smaller of the two trees.


                                                  The two finished palm trees.





 Since the trees are destined for a King Kong set for a stop motion film I thought it would be fun to photograph them in B&W to see how they'd look.


It was a fun project but I'll probably be sweeping and vacuuming up moss for the next month!

2 comments:

  1. they look great and I learned something today too I never knew that you could use Latex for a tree limps..that's so cool..thank you

    ReplyDelete