After building the trunk armature up I covered it in a paper mache mixture. The top layer was covered in paper cloth impregnated with mache.
After covering the tree in the paper cloth I gave it a roughened bark texture.
Here is one of the wrapped wire tree limbs with a covering of cotton and liquid latex. The wood block on the end will attach to a slot in the main trunk.
Applying a mixture of tinted liquid latex to the branch.
The finished branch after it has dried.
The main trunk with the slot I mentioned earlier to accommodate the branch.
The birch wood block base of the larger tree, I added some roots into the Apoxie clay base before it cured.
Aluminum wire forms the upper tree branches. Apoxie clay is added at the base of each branch to firmly secure it to trunk section of the tree.
After painting a coat of liquid latex on the wire I wrapped it with cotton twine to build it up.
Cotton and additional liquid latex was applied to form the branch.
The base of the trunk with Aluminum wire and Apoxie clay roots.
Covering the wire root with cotton & liquid latex.
Some smaller roots made with tinted liquid latex over floral wire.
Adding the thinner roots to the main root section. This week I look forward to begin creating the leafy foliage for the tree tops!